Sonntag, August 26, 2007

buying a iMac?

I like the concept of the new iMac. What I'm a not sure about is the Mac OS X. As I had to switch between system not only over time but also between work and home, I started using programs that run on all platforms.

At this time all platforms for me is Linux, Windows and sometimes OS/2 and IBM 370/MVS. Adding an other OS to this, needs some good reason and all the tools I use 99% of the time. As OS X is based on BSD it should not be a big problem.

First quick draft of the programs I use:

  • zsh

  • emacs - moving more and more to eclipse

  • perl

  • Java

  • mutt

  • ImageMagick

  • ssh

  • mpd/mpc


To add programs as I use them, I will look up the home page and add the tag useprg and osx if it runs on OS X on del.icio.us.

And now some hardware I should be able to use:

  • external USB drive with ext2

  • Palm Tungsten

  • SD card or SD card reader (USB)

  • mobile phone

  • ISDN phone

  • scanner

  • ham radio



Not everything will be usable from OS X directly. Most of this should run in VMware or parallels. Problematic will be the RS232 and IEEE-488 equipment.

Keine Kommentare: