Freitag, August 22, 2014

don't use "Inspect Element" to design filter rules

Never use your browsers Inspect Element to look at the HTML and expect it to be like this in the transmitted file!

I tried to use this to design a filter for Privoxy to remove a . The browser showed me the line as
But even
s///Usig
didn't remove any of the links. And I gave up.

Only after I was working at an other filter and using View Source to look a the HTM code I realised the difference. For Inspect Element the browser will use it's internal representation. And this results not only in the use of end tags, but also a different order of attributes.

A look at the actual source showed that the line in question actually looked like this
Now I was able to design the filter like this
s///Us
to remove the line.

Keine Kommentare: