Sonntag, August 05, 2007

personalised homepage

In dl.tv Episode 186 they showed the online todo list and task management Remember the Milk. I'm not interested in using an online calender. I'm not all the time in front of the computer to receive the alarm. OK I could send the alarm to my cell phone but I sink my phone with my calendar any way.
They used Netvibes as the frontend for Remember the Milk. This is a web service providing you with the possibility to create your own personal homepage with an Ajax Drag&Drop interface.
There page looked quite nice with weather, webmail, digg, del.icio.us, rss feeds, ... all arranged in small boxes.

On Friday during my search for a new rss reader I used yahoo's personalised homepage for this. It didn't impress me as a rss feed reader. Using it for some other features is restricted to yahoo services. Also it is slow.

iGoogle is for rss feeds more limited than my yahoo - max 9 instead of max 30 entries for each feed. For most feeds I use a real rss feed reader and would display only some, like traffic news, 10 is enough. For non feeds/news the selection on google is not restricted to google own tools. There are games, calculator, wiki, IM, ... to chose from.

Netvibe allowed me to build my own homepage without an account. This is great to test the service. The design looks better to me than that from yahoo or google. There are as many tools to be added as by iGoogle.

So far I'm not really convinced that I need a personal home page. To keep it clearly laid out the tab features is to be used. So you will end up with a tap for news, one for podcasts, one for finance, ...
But if you use the tab feature of your browser you could get even more. E.g. your personalised bank site in one tab could also be used to instantly buy or sell stocks.
Rss feeds are much better read in a real feed reader. With the google reader it is in a browser tab also.
The only disadvantage I can think of is, if you are using a lot of different computer. Or even more if this computer are not yours and have different settings or browsers installed. On the other hand will you really use a public internet access to log into your personal home page? As you can't be sure what spy ware on the PC is installed and your personal home page will send login information to all registered services, it's to scary to use for me any way.

Keine Kommentare: